Sunday, December 4, 2011

bringing out the dead (1999). directed by martin scorsese.


i've watched this movie some time ago and recently felt like watching nicolas cage. i like his manic energy and desperation. the movie is like a documentary instead of a conventional film, determined to show the new york beyond the brownstones, 5th avenue and wall street. all through the eye of a tired medic who had not saved anyone in months, and beginning to blame himself for each death he has to handle. he is their witness, their departing angel. the hospital is a crazy place, doctors and nurses working over time treating the city's down and out selflessly the best they could even though sometimes there is no hope left. people keep on living, no matter how tired they are. some tried to reverse the destructive forces in their life, sometimes they win, sometimes they don't. life in new york is a battle everyday that needs a good fight to deserve a win. 

all the broken people of new york, you gotta be tough, because if you don't, you can't survive this city. the only good thing is, you have each other. 

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't watch this movie till the end. I think it was too raw for me, his pain was too much for me to witness.

    I embrace my superficiality and watch only popcorn flicks that doesn't make me examine myself too much.

    XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. you aren't into depressing movies, nothing wrong with that. i have a thing for nicolas cage haha.

    ReplyDelete