Sunday, November 13, 2011

inception (2010). directed by christopher nolan.


the first time i watched inception, i didn't like it. there are infinite easier ways of telling the story as opposed to the layered mechanical dreams nolan is proposing. i am a proponent of story first, cgi second. the cgi in this movie is amazing, that at times i feel that it is done at the expense of the story. i don't mind the back and forth story telling, it shows how adriot nolan is in keeping the story tight although it requires audience to pay a closer attention.  

but then again, movies can be about anything. i guess i expect more storytelling from nolan, which is something he is very good at. when i told my brother than i didn't like the story - he merely said, you are getting old sis. 

then i watched it again. i liked it slightly. that was over a year ago. recently i gave it another watch and i began to appreciate the technicality of the story. or rather the stylish pseudo science of dreams (dreaming, rather). the cast is fantastic and it goes without saying that the direction is sleek. i read somewhere that nolan spent about 10 years to make this story, it is indeed a labour of love. 

4 comments:

  1. I adore Inception! The first time I watched it, I was blown away. And of course I fell in love with Tom Hardy and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

    I had to wait until after Raya to re-watch it (since my mum has a thing against going to the movies during Ramadhan) and my friend was amazed that I still shriek at it. She thought that since I've known all the story, there is no surprise. But I didn't like it when Mal shot Arthur, ok?

    The 1st time I watched it I actually slashed Arthur/Eames to the point that I actually made fanmix albums for them (you want? *wink*). But 2nd viewing gave me a different perspective to their relationship; more camaraderie and comradely than romantic. However, I still read the slash fics, hehehe. Some of them are really excellent!

    But it was definitely one movie where I checked out my logic when watching and I loved it enough to pre-order the DVD from Amazon.com. Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course la i want!

    i thot those two guys had a rivalry going, like one of them fucked up in a previous job and the other had to clean it up but the fucker refused to own up to the mistake..some thing like that.

    i like the top notched graphics despite the convoluted story telling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sent already the links to your inbox!

    ReplyDelete